The benefits and harms of this plant are directly dependent on its composition. A significant proportion of essential oils, tannins, camphor, volatile production, minerals, and vitamins are concentrated entirely.
Due to the original taste and unique flavor, basil is often used as a seasoning for many dishes. But at the same time, it is used not only in cooking; its properties were highly appreciated in medicine. The use of basil brings enormous benefits to the body of both men and women.
What is basil useful for?
Fresh green basil is rich in essential oils – and the amount is about 1.5%. This plant owes its delicate spicy aroma. In addition to the ether, it contains:
- Camphor, which has a positive effect on the heart and respiratory system;
- Eugenol, which gives basil antiseptic properties;
- Phytoncides, providing an opportunity to have an antibacterial effect;
- Tannins, to strengthen blood vessels;
- Minerals: magnesium, sodium, potassium, iron, zinc, copper, manganese, selenium, phosphorus;
- Vitamins: A, C, E, K, PP, and group B.
Due to its antiseptic properties, basil can relieve muscle spasms and heal wounds magically, reduce gas formation intensity, and at the same time, prevent the occurrence of inflammation too.
How the vitamins work in the body
Vitamin A cares for the skin, strengthens the nail plate, and improves the hair’s condition, reducing hair problems. Potassium regulates a person’s blood pressure. Ascorbic acid normalizes the cardiovascular system’s work, and vitamin B and vitamin PP contribute to the vascular walls’ strengthening. In addition to its antiseptic properties, Eugenol has a cleansing effect, and it promotes the elimination of cholesterol. Not only this, it protects our body from the harmful activity of free radicals.
All these qualities of basil will be useful for both men and women. However, these essential oils present in its composition in large quantities, and it’s a necessary plant during pregnancy and lactation. It can provoke a strong allergic reaction very fast.
Use of Basil in medicine
- Low-calorie green basil makes itself an indispensable product for the diet of overweight people. A rich complex of minerals and vitamins corrects the body’s unfitness done to unbalanced diets.
- Basil speeds up metabolism and promotes fat burning.
- Regular consumption of basil helps improve blood vessels’ condition, skin, nails, and hair.
- Basil is actively used to treat a wide range of respiratory diseases, including bronchial asthma and tuberculosis.
- Spicy green basil offers a calming effect on the nervous system, eliminates stomach discomfort, and normalizes the intestine’s gastric sufferings. That is why this spice is used for flatulence and bloating.
- This grass is beneficial for urolithiasis patients because it uses to eliminate uric acid, soften stones, and reduce pain.
- The most valuable quality of basil is its extraordinary aroma; due to many essential oils and volatile essential substances, the inhalation stimulates the heart appropriately.
Using of Basil in cosmetology
Based on the presence of antioxidants in the composition of the royal herb, it beneficial for us. Oil derived from basil is included in the design of cosmetic products (creams and lotions) for aging skincare and the removal of transparent wrinkles.
Being included in the shampoo, basil oil strengthens the hair roots and normalizes brittle hair structure.
Regular use of decoctions and lotions of basil greens can get rid of comediennes and pimples very soon.
Using of Basil in cooking and diets
Basil, the ultimate use of these herbs, has become the norm for many national cuisines, and it’s trendy. The range of its use in cooking is extensive: basil is added to soups, salads, main dishes, as well as desserts too.
- Most often, it is used in the food leaves of spicy grass. In Azerbaijani cuisine, seeds are used to flavor soups, drinks, snacks, and pates.
- Many dishes are unthinkable in Italian cuisine without this spice (Margherita pizza or the famous pesto sauce).
- Dried basil is added to sausages, canned vegetables, and butter sandwiches for a variety of tastes.
- In dried form, basil is found in many spice mixes, as it goes well with other spices.
The effect of basil on the body
The use of basil for the body is as follows:
- Tonic properties increase the body’s defenses;
- The kidneys are cleansed Due to the diuretic effect;
- The lotions made by basil leaves show excellent results in wound healing;
- Rinsing with the leaves helps eliminate inflammation inside the mouth and improves the condition of the gums.
Besides, using the basil plant, you can be secured the body much faster after the severe illness: as it returns to strength, vigor, and activity in a reasonably short time. Water infusions are often used for respiratory diseases and relatively problems, for example, like bronchitis. The plant relieves acute fever, regulates body temperature, and helps to eliminate cough.
Basil relieves the condition and speeds up the healing process for tuberculosis and asthma, and its antibacterial action helps to cope with infections and viruses.
Plus, you can get rid of headaches, heart problems, and rheumatic pains using fresh greens. And thanks to the anti-carcinogenic effect and that the plant is recommended for cancer tumors patients.
Fresh basil leaves will be useful for restoring and strengthening the nervous system in both men and women. The plant perfectly relieves tension, eliminates stress and anxiety. As a result, the general condition, brain activity is significantly improved, sleeping trouble is normalized, and the body receives additional strength. Quickly it changes to tone after physical and mental exertion.
Impact of basil on women’s and men’s health
The use of basil for women can help in the treatment of diseases of the urogenital system, and its decoction stimulates the production of mother’s milk. But at the same time, take the dose of this plant in the initial stage of pregnancy after prior consultation with a doctor.
But for men, basil will be beneficial. This spicy plant for their health is considered indispensable as it has a positive effect on potency. This is because the action of active substances is present in the composition of greenery biologically. It’s aimed to increase blood circulation, including the genitals. Plus, trace elements monitor the normalization of the nervous system. Thus, basil acts as a sedative on men; therefore, nervousness disappears; it becomes easier for deep relaxing.
Basil for men fixes the strength and good health. This herb’s property was known in ancient India, and modern science confirms all the useful qualities only.
What can be contraindications?
The presence of mercury compounds in basil causes antibacterial properties, but at the same time, these same substances can cause harm to the body. Therefore, the plant should be consumed in reasonable quantities, and in the diet of school-age children, it is administered only with the pediatrician’s permission.
Besides, basil is not recommended to use in the following cases:
- post-stroke and post-infarction periods;
- with thrombophlebitis;
- persons with diabetes;
- a large number of essential oils can harm the body of men and women in the case of stomach and intestines diseases;
- fresh greens are not recommended during lactation.
- Direct contraindications of basil are pronounced allergy and idiosyncrasy.
Use basil plant wisely, and it will surely bring great benefits to your body. Remember about its medicinal properties, but do not forget about contraindications. Be healthy!