Sore Throat is a contagious disease, where your windpipe gets painful, especially when you swallow. VIRUS is one of the main reasons for sore Throat. Many viruses, and even those that cause mononucleosis (mono) and influenza (the flu), cause a sore throat.
Bacteria is another cause of Sore Throat. Streptococcus (strep throat) and Arcanobacterium haemolyticum are the two bacteria that cause sore Throat.
Viruses and bacteria cause sore Throat. But the main reason for sore Throat is a cold infection. Symptoms include a runny nose, red and watery eyes, cough, and sneezing. Many other causes are there, such as smoking, pollution, dirt, and allergies.
Ever wondered why swallowing in the sore Throat is painful? The reason is tonsillitis. Viruses and bacteria cause tonsillitis. In tonsillitis, you may notice swollen tonsils in your self.
Sore Throat and allergies
There is an excellent connection between sore Throat and allergies. The leading causes of sore Throat are viruses, bacteria, and allergies. Many allergies are seasonal, and your symptoms of sore Throat worsen during the season of high pollen airborne irritants.
These irritants can include pollinating flowers and trees during springtime. If you have an allergy-induced sore throat, your symptoms will be itchy eyes, sneezing, and coughing.
Many other allergens are as follows:
1). Cigarette smoke
3). Mold and mild dew
4). Pet dander (especially cats and dogs)
What is a Postnasal drip? It is a process where your body produces extra mucus in your nose and Throat, and you always try to drip down the mucus to accumulate it back of the Throat.
In postnasal drip, you always feel to clear your Throat or to swallow mucus repeatedly. Your Throat gets scratchy and itchy, and you have a breathing problem, especially at night.
Postnasal drip is the main reason behind allergy-induced sore Throat. Postnasal drip also causes:
- excessive swallowing
- throat irritation
- difficulty speaking
Remedies for allergy-induced sore Throat and sore Throat:
1). Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is considered a health tonic with its active ingredients, acetic acid to fight bacteria. Apple cider vinegar has antibacterial properties and can kill bacteria in your Throat. It also reduces mucus in the Throat, which irritates you the most in sore Throat.
There are two ways to use apple cider vinegar. Firstly, use it as a gargle. Make a mixture of 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with 8 ounces of water. Gargle it with warm water. Secondly, you can use it with honey along with one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in your tea. It will help you to get relief from throat pain.
2). Warm salt water: Warm salt water is a natural remedy. Anyone can do it without any need for expert advice. Making a saltwater solution with a half-teaspoon of salt in a full glass of warm water and gargling with it can reduce the swelling in the Throat and make it clean. It should be done every three hours and so on.
3). Drinking Tea: Many people think of getting rid of tea because they are addicted to it. But drinking tea can be beneficial for sore Throat. Many teas contain antioxidants which help in healing tissue and fight cold and other viruses.
Teas you can drink in sore Throat:
- Licorice root tea: Licorice root tea is a natural remedy for sore Throat. You can sip or gargle it. It will be beneficial in sore Throat.
- Chamomile Tea: Chamomile Tea is a herbal remedy for sore Throat. It has antioxidants properties that help to lubricate your Throat and clear your choked sound of your voice. It helps to relieve your pain. It has anti-inflammatory properties that help to reduce swelling and pain in the Throat. Drinking it with honey offers smoothness in the Throat. Even inhaling chamomile steam might be helpful.
- Turmeric tea: Turmeric has potent antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antiseptic properties. It might help provide relief from throat pain. Just add ground turmeric to the boiling water. If you find it difficult to swallow because of its taste, you can add honey to sweeten it.
- Green tea: Green tea has antioxidant properties that help to reduce sore throat problems. Gargle with green tea regularly to get comfort from sore Throat. It has anti-inflammatory properties that help to reduce swelling and pain in the Throat.
- Ginger tea: Other than turmeric, ginger is also a well-known spice that helps to fight infection and inflammatory problems in the Throat. At the same time, making tea, put some amount of ginger in it.
- Peppermint Tea: Peppermint is rich in menthol and has a cooling effect. It is more effective in the sore throat caused by a bacterial infection. Let two peppermint tea bags steep in 1 cup of boiling water for 4-5 minutes. Gargle two or three times a day with the cooled-down mixture.
4). Overnight remedies for sore Throat:
- Lozenge contains menthol, which has a cooling effect. Sucking lozenge helps gently to desensitize the tissues in the Throat. Lozenge helps provide temporary relief from pain and burning sensation in your Throat by adding moisture to your Throat.
Sucking lozenges increase saliva production and reduce dryness in the Throat, providing relief from cough in your Throat.
The best lozenge available in the market are:
- Luden’s Great Tasting Original Menthol Throat Drops
- Halls Breezers Throat Drops, Creamy Strawberry
- Pine Bros Softish Throat Drops, Value Size, Wild Cherry
- Luden’s Honey Licorice Cough Drops
- Halls Cough Drops
- Fisherman’s Friend Original Extra Strong Drops
- doTerra Breathe Respiratory Drops
- Halls Sugar-Free Cough Drops, Honey Lemon
- Organic Silver Lozenges – Soothing Honey with Lemon
- Ambrosoli Honees Menthol Eucalyptus Cough Drops
- Sore Throat Spray: It is one of the best overnight remedies for sore Throat. By using sore throat spray, you can get instant relief from throat pain. Sore throat sprays are easy to use and carry. It’s effortless to use sore throat spray.
When you are burning from sore throat pain, open your mouth and point the spray nozzle at the back of your Throat. Hold your breath and press the pump down to spray. Do not breathe in the spray.
Adults and adolescents over 12 years of age should administer three sprays to the back of the Throat every two to three hours as needed. The sore Throat spray is easily available in the market.
- Always be hydrated: Always be hydrated with sore Throat. Keep drinking water. Dehydration still reduces your saliva growth. Saliva helps to lubricate your Throat to relieve cough.
Water intake should be more. Tea and soup are also great options but remember they should be warm, not hot. Drinking hot tea or soup will increase your throat problem.
Avoid drinking alcohol and caffeine, which can dry you out even more.