As soon as the name comes in front of us, “Asthma,” the first thing that comes in our mind is breathing problems. Asthma is a disease that causes a blockage in the airways of the lungs. People find it difficult to breathe in Asthma. Asthma is a serious disease in terms of health. This is not so serious in the beginning, but if it’s been for a long time, then it’s a matter of worried. The patient may die even after serious asthma attacks.
What is Asthma [Asthma Definition]
When someone gets attacked by Asthma, he makes a very heavy breathing sound that anyone can easily hear. It symbolizes that he or she is finding it very difficult to breathe.
In Asthma, people find it hard to expand their lungs and feel like somebody pressing their lungs from inside. There are tubes inside the human lungs that contain airflow known as airways. Asthma creates swelling in the airways to create shortness of breathing.
There are many reasons for having Asthma. Some people have Asthma genetically. This type of Asthma is known as Allergic Asthma and generally runs in the family.
A person receives genetic material changes from one or more of their parents, which increases their chances of Asthma. Some of the genetic changes take place in a baby still growing in the mother’s womb.
Some people are allergic to aspirin and have aspirin-induced Asthma. A person who has aspirin-induced Asthma can normally get attacked within two hours after having an aspirin.
A small dose of aspirin can cause a mild as well as severe attack. So in simple language, Asthma means difficulty in breathing.
Asthma Sign And Symptoms
Her’s Are some Common signs symptoms of Asthma, and You can check them out Given below.
- Chest tightness
We will explain the above points one by one.
A person who has Asthma has more cough. It keeps coming again and again. Cough in Asthma is a dry and Nonproductive cough. The Asthma patient suffers from more cough, followed by difficulty in breathing and wheezing sound.
Breathlessness means shortness of breathing. This is the most common symptom of asthma patients. Asthma patient finds it difficult to breathe in normal conditions.
There are many allergies suffered by a person which are different in different people. These allergies are the main cause of breathlessness.
Chest Tightness and Pain
Chest tightness and pain is also a common symptom of Asthma. 76% of people who are suffering from Asthma have chest pain tightness.
In Asthma, your immune system can cause your airways inflamed and swollen results in a need for more space in the airways to breathe. So in this condition, people find more pressure in their lungs to breathe, resulting in chest tightness and pain.
Sleeping disorder is common in asthma patients. The asthma patient often suffers at night from coughing, wheezing, and breathlessness that can cause sleeplessness.
Asthma makes the airways narrower leads to coughing, wheezing, and breathlessness at night; thus, people are difficult to sleep in.
Not every person who has Asthma needs to have the same symptoms in the same way. You may not have all of the above symptoms, but some may have all symptoms as time progresses.
Your asthma symptoms may also change as the attacks come one after the other. They can become severe to mild or vice versa.
Besides these symptoms, there are many signs which will help you to ascertain Asthma. By acknowledging these signs, you can avoid making your Asthma more severe and prevent the asthma attack. These signs are given below:
- Repeated cough at night.
- Tiredness every time whenever you walk, do any work which involves physical exercise.
- You feel irritated every time, and most have an upset mood.
These signs will help you determine Asthma so that you can start your meditation as soon as possible.
Asthma Symptoms In Children
Children in their childhood have a very small passageway in their lungs through which the air passes. But if the airways become inflamed and narrowed, then the children find it difficult to breathe.
Many factors make their airways inflamed, such as the cold chest, cold head, and other illness related to respiration.
Many of the symptoms in child asthma resemble adult asthma and are the same. Such as
- Regular coughing
- Consistently recurring cough.
- Very less energy while playing.
- Fast breathing.
- chest tightness
- Making whistling sound while breathing.
- The retraction means difficulty in breathing. Up and down motion in the chest because of retraction.
- Shortness of breath
- Feeling tired and laziness every time.
Other symptoms are also stated below
1.Allergic reaction to house dust mites, mold, animal hair, and pollens.
2.Allergic skin rashes.
5. Low birth weight.
Symptoms in children for Asthma are hard to find for parents. But these symptoms will help them. The study reveals that Asthma can occur at any age in children, but most probably, it occurs at the age of 5.
How To Cure Asthma Naturally
Asthma patients should always be careful regarding their medication and inhaler. Inhaler always proved as the savior for an asthma patient.
But you don’t need to always carry your inhaler with you. Sometimes you forget to carry. In that case, these are the things you can try :
- Stop and sit straight. Stop all the work that you are doing and sit straight. Moving your body at that time can make your breathing complicated.
- Stay away from allergic things Asthma attack arises from some allergic things like dust, cigarette smoke, or the smell of chemicals (e.g., ammonia, chlorine gas, sulfur dioxide). Get away from these things as soon as possible. Get some fresh air at that time.
- Hot beverage Drinking hot drinks like coffee can help you get some relief and open up your airways to breathe easily.
Above mentioned points were applicable when you don’t have your inhaler and medical care with you. But while having the inhaler, please take the following step:
- Take one puff of your reliever inhaler (usually blue) every 30 to 60 seconds, up to a maximum of 10 puffs
- seek medical care as soon as possible.
- Asthma patients should always have the medical emergency helpline number with them.
- Know your asthma symptoms, never be in touch with them.
Asthma Emergency Home Remedies
There are various emergency home remedies, and You can try them at your home to avoid an asthma attack.
- Eucalyptus oil: Eucalyptus oil is considered a natural treatment for many years. Inhaling its vapor can be proved as the best cure for effective breathing. For this, you have to take one cup of boil water and put a few drops of eucalyptus oil in it. Now inhale the vapor of oil very slowly.
- Mustard oil: Mustard oil is one of the best emergency home remedies for asthma relief. The mustard oilseed can be a relief factor for an asthma patient. Applying warm mustard oil in your chest can help you relieve your pressure and open your passageway, leading your lungs to make your breathing more effective and easy. Massaging the mixture of warm mustard oil and camphor in your chest will also relieve your pain and trouble of an asthma attack. Massage it hourly unless you get relief.
- Ginger: Ginger always proved helpful in treating all kinds of respiratory problems. It can be used in dry and raw conditions. Its components have anti-inflammatory properties, making it effective at reducing inflammation as Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs). It helps to heal the swelling from the passageway leading to the lungs to improve your breathing function.
- Garlic: Boil 10-12 cloves in half a cup of water and drinking it once a day. Garlic has many anti-inflammatory properties, which make it a miracle worker against Asthma since Asthma is an inflammatory disease. Garlic is very effective for reducing asthma symptoms.
- Omega 3 Fatty acid: Omega 3 Fatty acid is mainly found in fish. Nuts and flaxseeds. It’s a natural remedy which you can prepare at home by your self. Omega 3 Fatty acid is considered an effective remedy to cure heart problems, mental conditions, and respiratory problems.
- Honey: Drinking honey can be a very useful remedy for Asthma. You can drink it raw or a teaspoon of honey with water. It can improve your respiratory problems and will clear your throat. Drinking honey, especially at night in a water glass, helps you have a nice sleep.
- Onions: Onions are found in every home. It contains vitamin C, which is considered a natural cure for Asthma. Red onions are jam-packed with anti-oxidants, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and anti-viral properties. So add onion to your daily diet.
- Careful diet and lifestyle: Besides all these points, you should also take care of your daily diet. Maximize pulses in your diet like old rice (rice stored for at least one year is called old), wheat, barley, Culotte, mung beans, arhar beans, etc. Drink honey with herbal tea. You can also consume seeds, nuts, and oils in the average amount. Heavy products made from milk like cheese, curd, buttermilk, creams should be avoided. Try to avoid cold food, cold drinks, and do yoga, exercise, and other physical activity.
Asthma treatment in Ayurveda
Asthma cannot be eliminated. But consuming these herbs can provide you relief and can minimize your symptoms of Asthma.
- Tulsi: Tulsi, also known as Holy Basil, treated beneficially for religious and medicinal purposes. It’s a natural remedy. You can consume tulsi with little honey and ginger juice. You can also have it by making a warm tea containing a few leaves of tulsi and a few ginger slices.
- Vasaka: Vasaka is the best natural remedy in Ayurveda. In the Ayurvedic treatment method snehapan (ingestion of fats), vasa ghrita is given to asthmatic patients. A potent herbal remedy for Asthma is 2 gm of vasaka powder + 2 gms of sitopaladi churna + 1 teaspoon of honey. The plant’s leaves contain the alkaloid vaccine (C11H12N2O), responsible for the small but persistent bronchodilatation, and essential oil, which is chiefly responsible for the expectorant action. Another way to consume it is to mix 5 ml of the fresh leaf juice of Malabar nut + 2.5 ml ginger juice + 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Bala: Bala contains alkaloid ephedrine helpful in treating Asthma and a natural substance that helps relieve stress. Prepare a liquid by boiling 1 tsp of Bala, 1/2 tsp of Vasa, 1/2 tsp of ginger, and five black peppercorns in two cups of water. Reduce to one cup and drink twice daily.
- Long Pepper: Mix some long pepper + 1 teaspoon honey + little onion juice. Drink this once a day, preferably in the morning.
Besides this, you can also use the following Ayurvedic treatment.
- For improving the function of the lungs, you can mix some cloves of peel banana with honey. Keep it for the whole night and drink it in the morning.
- AS mentioned earlier about herbal tea, you can also add ajwain with tulsi, pepper, and ginger.
- Vasa, an Indian herb, controls bronchitis, a boon, and known for a cough remedy.
- Turmeric, a bronchial herb, is highly useful for the chronic condition.
- Glycyrrhiza glabra (Yashtimadhu) soothes the trachea and prevents airway obstruction.
- Herbs like Albizia lebbeck, clove is useful for bronchitis.
- For the natural curve of the condition and to get some relief, rub brown mustard oil on the chest.
- To minimize congestion and reduce breathlessness, drink some pepper + 1 teaspoon honey + little onion juice. It is one of the natural Ayurveda remedies. More intake of fluid should be taken if one suffered from dryness of it.
- Massage with sesame oil on the chest is a very good alternative treatment.
- To reduce asthmatic trigger, grind 2-3 gram of Nagar and Bharangi, take this medicine mixture thrice a day with lukewarm water.
- To ease the severity of bronchitis, take a mixture of Sitopladi Churna + licorices + borax powder and honey thrice a day.
- Herbs like Elecampane, Mullein, Thyme, Black Pepper, Flax seed, Ginger, Manna, Myrrh are also used to treat it.
- The seed of Celery is used in the treatment of it.
- A solution of Ephedra provides relief to asthma attacks by clearing the congestion of the respiratory tract.
- Chewing of the fruit chebulic myrobalan at night allay asthmatic attack.
- Arjuna bark helps treat it.
- Powdered bayberry bark an effective remedy for bronchial patients.
- Euphorbia facilitates easy breathing.
- Aniseed has expectorant characters so helpful for asthma patients.
- The gum of Asafetida + Honey is useful for the patients.
Homeopathic Treatment For Asthma
Homeopathic remedies are considered an effective remedy for asthma treatment and can cure Asthma permanently. They are very gentle and safe for children who are suffering from Asthma.
Homeopathy medicine is very natural and improves the immunity system of our body. Some of the remedies are as follows:
Carbo vegetable is a remedy that helps to minimize the symptoms of indigestion. It is suggested when a person is suffering from a severe cough problem. It provides a quiet relief.
Chamomilla may be used when during dry and hard cough. It controls asthma attacks, which emerge from irritational mood, angry, and hypertension.
It is given to a person suffering from anxiety, restlessness, and a large number of cough problems. Asthma patient gets relief from breathing problems, especially occurs at night.
Lobelia and Sambucus Nigra
These two medicines are given to the people who have asthma symptoms with wheezing(feels like tightness in lungs resulting in breathing problem).
This kind of medicine is given to a person with asthma with dry wheezing and makes a rattling sound while breathing.
NATRUM SULPH 30
Natrum sulph 30 is a medicine used for treating chronic Asthma. This medicine is used often for treating children who have Asthma. It is very useful when Asthma is hereditary. When the weather is of most humidity and moisture, this homeopathy medicine is given.
SAMBUCUS 30 is medicine useful for children, especially at night when they get attacked by Asthma, turn blue, and struggle to breathe. Many such attacks can occur in one night. After consuming this medicine, the child breaks into a sweat and get instant relief from the attack.
Asthma is a severe disease. It is controllable. It cannot be completely cured. You can use as many treatments as you wish. We have seen so many treatments in medical science, Ayurveda, and homeopathy. But all the treatments are used for controlling Asthma. Asthma never goes entirely away.
Some cases result in death. This treatment helps in reducing the symptoms of Asthma. But the asthma patient should not lose hope. He can also live a normal life like others. It only requires full care, alertness, and regularity in medical treatment or any treatment if you are using Ayurveda treatment or homeopathic treatment.